Descendants of Abraham and Betsy Cross have many branches. Amos Cross and his wife Eliza are the direct links to Samuel and Rebecca Cross. My book Cross Roads has focused only Samuel and Rebecca Cross one child of Amos and Eliza Cross. However, I’ve included Amos’ brother Joseph Orin Cross to unveil his life as a Civil War soldier fighting with the 29th Connecticut Colored Volunteers. Through him, we are introduced to other family members who gave the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. Joseph name is written on the Civil War Monument in Washington honoring African Americans who served.
I’ve also included Olive Cross, Amos, and Joseph sister, who are the grandmother of Alice May Weeden Fayerweather. The Fayerweather is known for owning a successful blacksmith business in South Kingston Rhode Island.
Abraham and Betsy had seven children:
- Joseph Orin. Married Abby J. Cross had 11 children,
- Frances Cross, Ella Jane Cross, Charles Cross, Alice J. Cross, Horace L. Cross, Edward U. Cross, Sarah O. Cross, Howard O. Cross, George W. Cros
- Nancy Ann Cross (Peterson) married David Frost Jr. (DofB 1821; DofD 1882)
- Isaac Cross is born 1813 married Eliza Ann Thomas. They have a son Frederick O born in Sept 1839. He died 29 July 1920.
- Nelson A Cross married Louisa A Williams (born Abt. 1819, died 22 June 1890>) they lived in Griswold. Both are buried in Pachaug Cemetery in Griswold. ( Undertakers account Book Griswold 1884-1895 at Connecticut Historical Society MS 72849 (10); Hale/ Radstine Index.
- John Cross born 1808 and died 9 September 1843. John married Clarissa in Hartford Connecticut 24 July 1830. He purchased land from his father Abraham Cross in 1857. ( Griswold Town Clerk V7 p419)
- Amos born Abt. 1809. Married Eliza Sept 1832. Their Children were Samuel, Joseph, William Prince Henry, Louisa, Bertha, Gilbert, Amelia
- Olive Cross is born Abt. 1800 and died 9 Aug 1868 married George Brewster on 4 May 1834 at the First Congregational Church. (Church Records at Griswold Town Clerk office Vol. 2 p 214). They had seven children Laura, Amos, Louis, Rosella, Betsy, Sarah, Louisa R born 1846 and Maria
1860 census George and Olive Brewster and their children; Amos 25, Lois 24, Rosella 22, Betsy 20, Sarah 17 and Louisa 14. Maria who is three in1850 is not in 1860 census.
Amos C Brewster enrolled In 29th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. (colored)
Louisa R Brewster married Dwight L. Weeden on Feb 22, 1865. Their daughter Bertha Loisa was born 17 May 1866. Their son Clifford born 17Aug 1869; their daughter Alice May Weeden was born in1871 and died 7 Dec 1945. She married Solomon Eugene Fayerweather on 17 Feb 1889 @ 18yrs old, in South Kingstown.
Their daughter Louisa Weeden died at birth 17 April 1881.
Solomon Eugene Fayerweather was born 18 Oct 1865 in South Kingstown. Died 7Dec.1945
His parents Solomon Fayerweather and Lousia Brewster Weeden are well known in South Kingstown. Solomon E. father, Solomon, owned a profitable blacksmith business in South Kingstown. His success made him a leader in the South Kingstown community. Solomon was sexton of the Kingston Congregational Church in Kingstown. Solomon is the son of George 11 and grandson of George Fayerweather former slave of Rev. Samuel Fayerweather. George took the name of his slave master.
George Fayerweather 1776-1841 married Louisa Weeden
Solomon Fayerweather is born 1820, son of George Fayerweather and Nancy Rodman Fayerweather.
Solomon married Louisa Brewster Weeden.He died in1901. They had six children: Daniel G. Fayerweather 1852-1875, Georgiana Fayerweathe 1865-?, John H. Fayerweather 1859-1934, Sarah Elizabeth Fayerweather 1854-1921, Louisa E. Fayerweather 1857-1858 (died at birth), and Solomon Eugene Fayerweather. 1866-1945.
Connections to South Kingstown Rhode Island
Children of the Cross family and their spouses returned to South Kingstown Rhode Island. Louisa R, daughter of Olive Cross Brewster and George Brewster married Dwight L Weeden on the 22 February I 1865 in South Kingstown. Louisa R born in1846 died on 5 March 1881 in Narragansett Pier South Kingstown.
Betsey Ann, daughter of Olive Cross Brewster and George Brewster born in 1841 married Olney. She died on 5 January 1915 in South Kingston
Alice May Weeden born in 1871 married Solomon E Fayerweather (born 1865) on 17 February 1889 in South Kingstown. Alice May died on 7 December 1945.