Olive Cross ( daughter of Abraham and Betsy Cross)
(Sister of Joseph Orin Cross and Amos Cross)
Olive is born between 1811. She married George Brewster 4 May 1834 at the First Congregational Church in Griswold, Connecticut. [ii] George Brewster born about 1812 . The couple have 8 children: [iii]
- Betsy Ann Brewster married Olney. Betsy is born about 1840 in Connecticut
- Lois E Brewster married Williams. She is born about 1839 in Conn.
- Roseella S Brewster married Edward Watson. She is born about 1838 in Rhode Island
- Lousia R Brewster married Dwight L Weeden Feb 22, 1865. Louisa born about. 1845 in Conn.
- Sarah A Brewster born about 1842-3 in Conn.
- Amos Crosby Brewster about 1834-5 in Conn.
- Laura Brewster born about 1846 in Conn.
- Maria Brewster born about 1847 and disappears from the 1860 census.
In 1860 Olive and George Brewster and their children live in South Kingston Rhode Island, the birth place of Olive grandfather West Cross, and the birth place of George.
The couple move to Rhode Island before Rosallia is born about 1838 and return to Griswold Connecticut almost a year later before Lois is born in about 1839. They remain in Connecticut until about 1860.
George Brewster is a stone mason in South Kingstown Rhode Island in 186. Olive worked as a washer women and the daughters are employed as domestics. The only labor most Black women are employed. Amos , the only son is a laborer.
Olive Cross Brewster returns to Rhode Island for her final resting place after her death on 9 August 1868 in Wakefield, Washington County Rhode island.[iv]
[i] 1860 United tates Federal Census The national Archives, record group 29, roll 1211, Rhode Island Washington County, South Kingstown, pg.22. National Archives, Washington, D.C..
[ii] Church Records at Griswold Town Clerk, Vol 2 pg 214.
[iv] Rhode Island Death and Buriel 180-1950, index familysearch.org, MM9.11.